Decision No. 152/1999/QD-TTg dated July 10, 1999 of the Prime Minister ratifying the strategy for management of solid waste in Vietnamese cities and industrial parks till the year 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER OF GOVERNMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, July 10, 1999
RATIFYING THE STRATEGY FOR MANAGEMENT OF SOLID WASTE IN VIETNAMESE CITIES AND INDUSTRIAL PARKS TILL THE YEAR 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government of September 30, 1992;
Pursuant to the Law on Environmental Protection, passed on December 27, 1993 by the IXth National Assembly and made public under the State President’s Order No. 29/L-CTN of January 10, 1994;
At the proposal of the Minister of Construction in Report No. 08/TTr-BXD of February 23, 1999,
Article 1.- To ratify the Strategy for management of solid waste in Vietnamese cities and industrial parks till the year 2020 with the following principal contents:
To step by step form a synchronous system for management of solid waste in cities and industrial parks in order to check the environmental pollution and protect the environment, thus ensuring the achievement of target of sustainable development in the period of national industrialization and modernization.
1. Immediate-future objectives (till the year 2005):
- By that time, all the provinces and centrally-run cities shall complete the planning for management and treatment of solid waste in cities and industrial parks, with priority being given to the planning of hygienic solid waste burial sites; close solid waste burial sites which are not hygienic; and build a number of establishments for processing solid waste into fertilizer when conditions permit;
- To sort out hazardous waste right from their sources; to initially sort out solid waste from daily life in cities;
- To collect, transport and treat 75-90% of the total volume of discharged solid waste, depending on each type of cities and industrial parks;
- To thoroughly treat hazardous medical solid waste in big cities with advanced incineration technology(ies); to treat hazardous industrial solid waste by appropriate method(s);
2. Long-term objectives (till the year 2020):
- To collect, transport and treat 80-95% of the total volume of solid waste discharged in cities and industrial parks;
- To collect and thoroughly treat hazardous medical solid waste in cities with advanced technology(ies);
- To apply the measures to reclaim and recycle solid waste; to give priority to the investment in construction of two centers for treatment of hazardous industrial solid waste in two key economic regions in the North and the South;
- To improve the management of solid waste in cities and industrial parks on the principle of harmonizing the legislation, development investment, technical assistance, as well as inspection and supervision.
II. MAJOR SOLUTIONS
1. Improvement of the legal framework:
- To revise and synchronously promulgate documents guiding the legislation on solid waste management, and to raise the enforcement effect of the Law on Environmental Protection;
- To promulgate the "Regulation on solid waste management" and the "Regulation on hazardous waste management", which concretize the implementation of provisions on solid waste management in the Law on Environmental Protection;
- To draw up the planning of national network of establishments for treatment of medical solid waste and hazardous solid waste discharged from industrial parks, which shall serve as basis for the formulation and ratification of investment projects with a view to avoiding investment overlapping, coincidence and waste in investment;
- To promulgate the designing standards of hygienic solid waste burial sites; incorporate the quotas of land to be used for solid waste treatment into the urban planning norms.
2. Raising of the communal awareness and training capability:
- To conduct widespread and regular propaganda on the mass media, guide the public opinion in promoting and encouraging the environmental protection activities; to carry out the propaganda and education through the regular operations of the mass organizations at grassroots levels, thus creating emulation movement for building new way of life at residential quarters in cities and industrial parks; to publish and disseminate documents propagating and instructing the environmental protection in general and solid waste management in particular, suitable to each target subject and each locality;
- To include the environmental education curriculum into education programs of the pre-school, general and tertiary education and other training and professional foster courses of the political and social organizations and occupational societies;
- To enhance the capability of schools and institutions for training out specialists in the domain of solid waste management.
3. Renewal of the financial policy and creation of capital sources:
- The Ministry of Construction shall assume the prime responsibility and coordinate with the concerned ministries and branches in studying and promulgating the bracket of environmental sanitation fees and price bracket applicable to contracts for collection, transportation and treatment of solid waste in each type of cities and industrial parks on the following principle: For the immediate future, to ensure enough expenses for operation of solid waste collection, transportation and treatment apparatus, then proceed to collect more to partially refund the State�s investment capital; the localities shall base themselves on these brackets to set out specific fee levels suitable to their respective cities.
- Local administrations of all levels shall seek measures for correct and full collection of budget revenues including taxes and environmental sanitation fee within the scope of competence assigned to them. Organizations and individuals shall have to pay the fee for collection and treatment of solid waste;
- To adopt tax, credit and land use mechanisms and preferential policies in order to mobilize potential resources from the population and all economic sectors for investment in the field of environmental protection in general and solid waste management in particular;
- To attract external resources;
- To adopt preferential policies and plans for rational distribution of budget capital, ODA capital and long-term loans with preferential interest rates for investment in procurement of facilities and equipment and construction of solid waste treatment centers; to render loan supports for investment in solid waste management projects;
- To encourage all economic sectors to participate in the solid waste management and apply clean and low-waste production technologies through preferential policies provided for by the Law on Domestic Investment Promotion (amended);
- The State encourages the establishments producing goods (especially consumer goods in cities) to conduct research aimed to minimize solid waste after such goods are consumed, such as: rational use of input materials, proper alterations in products’ formulas, reduction of packing materials, change in consuming habit, etc.
4. Improvement of the model for solid waste management organization:
- To consolidate and promote the State enterprises that are effectively operating in the collection, transportation and/or treatment of solid waste;
- To encourage all economic sectors to invest in the field of solid waste management; to equitize State enterprises with ineffective operations in this field; to study the establishment of companies following the operation model of public-utility State enterprises.
5. Modernization of technologies and manufacture of equipment and materials:
- To apply advanced technologies suitable to Vietnam’s conditions in processes of recycle, reuse or treatment of solid waste;
- To import, then proceed to manufacture at home equipment for collection, transportation and treatment of solid waste;
- To study and apply norms and standards in the following processes: selection of technologies for, designing, construction and operation of hygienic waste burial sites; and at the same time to invest in the construction of projects for treatment of hazardous solid waste in compatibility with advanced standards and technologies;
- To apply technologies for incineration of medical solid waste and hazardous industrial solid waste.
6. Promotion of international cooperation and relations:
To take advantage of all sources of aids from foreign governments and non-governmental organizations and other sources of international assistance in training, experience learning, technology transfer, technical and financial supports in the field of solid waste management.
Article 2.- To assign the Ministry of Construction and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment to coordinate with the Ministry of Planning and Investment, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Industry, the Ministry of Health and the concerned ministries and branches in concretizing the contents of the Strategy for management of solid waste in cities and industrial parks till the year 2020; organizing the realization of the Strategy; drawing up the planning as well as short-term and long-term plans for the effective implementation thereof.
Article 3.- This Decision takes effect 15 days after its signing. The ministers, the heads of the ministerial-level agencies, the heads of the agencies attached to the Government and the presidents of the People’s Committees of the provinces and centrally-run cities shall have to implement this Decision.
FOR THE PRIME MINISTER
DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER
Ngo Xuan Loc