Decision No. 167/2007/QD-TTg dated November 01, 2007 of the Prime Minister approving the zoning plan for exploration, mining, processing and use of bauxite ore in the 2007-2015 period with a vision to 2025 taken into consideration
THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, November 1, 2007
APPROVING THE ZONING PLAN FOR EXPLORATION, MINING, PROCESSING AND USE OF BAUXITE ORE IN THE 2007-2015 PERIOD WITH A VISION TO 2025 TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
At the proposal of the Minister of Industry and Trade and the Minister of Planning and Investment,
Article 1. To approve the zoning plan for exploration, mining, processing and use of bauxite ore in the 2007-2015 period with a vision to 2025 taken into consideration as follows:
a/ To develop the bauxite mining and processing industry in line with Vietnam’s industrial development plan, local socio-economic development plans and plans on development of related infrastructures (transport, seaports, electricity and so on) To ensure that the exploration, mining and processing of bauxite is efficient, effective and environmental friendly and socio-economic development is combined with security and defense protection in bauxite ore areas, particularly the Central Highlands.
b/ To build and develop the bauxite mining and processing industry with modern and environmentally friendly technology. The principal form is that Vietnamese enterprises act as construction investors calling domestic and foreign partners to contribute equity capital, with the Vietnam Coal-Minerals Industries Group (for bauxite ore areas in the Central Highlands) holding dominant shares (more than 50%), so as to ensure proactivity and sustainable development and entry into world alumina and aluminum markets.
c/ To develop the alumina manufacture and aluminum refining industry in harmony with socio-economic development in the Central Highlands and related localities.
2. Development orientations
a/The 2007-2015 period:
- To focus on building transport infrastructure, including a rail connecting the mining fields in Dak Nong and Lam Dong provinces with a seaport in Binh Thuan province;
- To intensify bauxite exploration and increase bauxite deposits in order to ensure reliability for mining activities;
- To exploit bauxite and produce alumina for export and supply of materials for domestic electrolysis of aluminum;
- To build an aluminum electrolysis plant to supply aluminum for domestic consumption and export.
b/ The 2016-2025 period:
- To make investment in order to increase the capacity of bauxite exploitation and alumina production for export and supply of materials for domestic electrolysis of aluminum;
- To invest in aluminum electrolysis plants (increasing output and/or building anew) in order to provide aluminum for domestic consumption and export.
c/ Orientations for cooperative investment: The major form of investment cooperation is joint-stock companies, in which the Vietnamese party holds dominant shares. Joint venture or wholly foreign owned investments are allowed only in the case of power-aluminum complexes using alumina produced in Vietnam.
3. Development targets
a/ On bauxite exploration: To boost exploration, ensuring reliable bauxite deposits for the sustainable development of the bauxite mining and processing industry nationwide.
b/ On mining and processing:
- To exploit bauxite and produce quality alumina for electrolysis. It is expected that alumina output by 2010 will be 0.7 - 1.0 million tons/year; 2015: 6.0-8.5 million tons/year: and 2025: 13 - 18 million tons/ year. To export all alumina products before 2015. Alumina output will be used for domestic electrolysis of aluminum and export after 2015;
Click Download to see full text