Decision No. 39/2007/QD-BNN dated May 02, 2007 of the Ministry of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs approving the Planning on development of the cashew industry up to 2010 and orientations to 2020
THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, May 02, 2007
APPROVING THE PLANNING ON DEVELOPMENT OF THE CASHEW INDUSTRY UP TO 2010 AND ORIENTATIONS TO 2020
THE MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 86/2003/ND-CP dated July 18, 2003 defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development;
Pursuant to the Prime Minister’s Decision No. 150/2005/QD-TTg dated June 20, 2005, approving the national planning on restructuring of agricultural, forestry and fishery production up to 2010 and a vision to 2020;
Pursuant to the Prime Minister’s Document No.1661/TTg-NN dated October 28, 2005, authorizing the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development to approve the planning on development of the cashew industry up to 2010 and orientations to 2020;
At the proposals of the director of the Department for Agricultural and Forest Product Processing and Salt Making, the director of the Cultivation Department and the director of the Planning Department,
To approve the Planning on development of the cashew industry up to 2010 and orientations to 2020 with the following principal contents:
I. DEVELOPMENT VIEWPOINTS
1. The development of cashew production and processing in the near future must ensure the best exploitation of economic, social and environmental-protection benefits and compatibility with the national planning on restructuring of agricultural and forestry production.
2. To apply scientific and technological advances, raise productivity, quality and efficiency, and form consolidated cashew-growing area in association with the processing industry and consumption markets.
3. To develop the processing industry with modern technologies and advanced equipment through appropriate steps, raising the quality of, and diversifying products, and ensuring their competitiveness in the context of international economic integration.
4. To mobilize resources of different economic sectors, in which the state provides partial support for investment in the development of traffic and irrigation infrastructure of consolidated cashew-growing areas, the research and transfer of scientific and technological advances, varieties and cultivation processes.
II. DEVELOPMENT ORIENTATIONS AND MAJOR TARGETS
1. Development orientations
To expand the cashew areas in regions where conditions permit, especially gray-soil regions in the Central Highlands, Eastern South Vietnam and Southern Central Vietnam coast; to concentrate on the intensive growing of, and replacement of old cashew varieties with, new cashew varieties of high yield and quality; to renew processing equipment and technologies to modernization and in-depth processing for raising the production value and efficiency.
2. Major targets up to 2010
- The cashew-growing area nationwide: 450,000 ha; harvest area: 360,000 ha.
- Average yield: 1.4 tons/ha; in high-yield regions: over 2 tons/ha.
- Output of raw cashew nuts: 500,000 tons
- Total processing capacity will be maintained at the existing level of 715,000 tons of raw nuts/year.
- The volume of raw cashew nuts put to processing will be 625,000 tons, of which 125,000 tons will be imported.
- Output of cashew kernels: 140,000 tons.
- Export turnover: US$670 million.
2. Orientations to 2020
- The stable cashew-growing area will be around 400,000 ha.
- The export turnover will reach around US$ 820 million.
Click Download to see full text