Decision No. 500/TTg dated July 08, 1997 of the Prime Minister on the elaboration of the strategy for education and training development in Vietnam up to the year 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER OF GOVERNMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, July 8, 1997
ON THE ELABORATION OF THE STRATEGY FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING DEVELOPMENT IN VIETNAM UP TO THE YEAR 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government of September 30, 1992;
Pursuant to Resolution No.10-CP of January 31, 1997 of the Government on the implementation of the resolution of the second plenum of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam (the VIIIth Congress) on education, training, science and technology;
At the proposal of the Minister of Education and Training,
Article 1.- To assign the Minister of Education and Training to assume the main responsibility in organizing and directing the elaboration of the project: "Strategy for Education and Training Development in Vietnam up to the Year 2020".
Article 2.- Objectives and implementation measures:
1. The project "Strategy for Education and Training Development in Vietnam up to the Year 2020" ("Education and Training Development Strategy" for short) should achieve the following objectives:
- Concretizing the major tasks and policies stated in the Resolution of the second plenum of the Party Central Committee (the VIIIth Congress) on the strategic orientation for the development of education and training in the period of industrialization and modernization and the tasks up to the year 2000.
- The education and training development strategy must be an integral part of the socio-economic development strategy, aimed at creating human resources to achieve the socio-economic development objectives of the country.
- The education and training development strategy must be elaborated for specific periods from now to the year 2000, 2005, 2010 and 2020.
- The education and training development strategy must be feasible, involving a system of specific policies, solutions and mechanisms.
2. Mode of organizing the implementation:
- Setting up the Steering Board for the elaboration of the Strategy for Education and Training Development up to the Year 2020 with the Minister of Education and Training acting as its Chairman. The members of the Steering Board shall include leading officials of a number of ministries, commissions and branches with synthesis function, a number of major scientific centers and major cities (in the enclosed list). The Steering Board is tasked to organize and direct the coordination among the ministries, branches and localities in elaborating the strategy for the development of education and training up to the year 2020 and then submit it to the Government by the second quarter of 1998.
The ministries, branches and localities shall have to combine the elaboration of the education and training development strategy with the elaboration of their respective general planning and plans for their development.
- The fund for the elaboration of the education and training development strategy shall be deducted from the non-business fund for education and training and non-business fund for science and technology.
Article 3.- This Decision takes effect 15 days after its signing.
The ministers, the heads of the ministerial-level agencies, the heads of the agencies attached to the Government, the Presidents of the People’s Committees of the provinces and cities directly under the Central Government shall have to implement this Decision.
FOR THE PRIME MINISTER
DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER
OF MINISTRIES, COMMISSIONS, BRANCHES, LOCALITIES AND AGENCIES JOINING THE STEERING BOARD FOR ELABORATION OF THE EDUCATION AND TRAINING DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
(Attached to Decision No.500-TTg of July 8, 1997 of the Prime Minister)
1. The Party Central Committee’s Commission for Science and Education
2. The Ministry of Education and Training
3. The Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment
4. The Ministry of Planning and Investment
5. The Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs
6. The Ministry of Culture and Information
7. The Ministry of Industry
8. The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
9. The Office of the Government
10. The Government Commission on Organization and Personnel
11. The National Center for Natural Sciences and Technology
12. The National Center for Social Sciences and Humanities
13. The Municipal People's Committee of Hanoi
14. The Municipal People's Committee of Ho Chi Minh City.-