Decision No. 911/1997/QD-TTg dated October 24, 1997 of the Prime Minister ratifying the overall plan for development of the national airport system
THE PRIME MINISTER OF GOVERNMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, October 24, 1997
RATIFYING THE OVERALL PLAN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE NATIONAL AIRPORT SYSTEM
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government of September 30, 1992;
Pursuant to Decision No.432-TTg of June 28, 1996 to set up the Council for Elaboration of the National Airport System Development Project;
At the proposal of the Airport Project Council in Presentation No. 33/HDDA of May 31, 1997 enclosed with the project dossier,
Article 1.- To ratify the overall plan for development of the national airport system in Paper No.33/HDDA of May 31, 1997 of the Airport Project Council (on the basis of the plan jointly drawn up by the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam and the Ministry of Defense according to the task assigned by the Prime Minister in Document No.469/KTN of January 27, 1995 and already expertised by the Airport Project Council), which includes the following principal contents:
1. The objectives: To develop the national airport system to meet the requirements of socio-economic development and national security and defense in each period and serve the cause of national industrialization and modernization.
2. Total number of airports of various kinds: 138, including:
a/ The airport system:
- Airports - airfields: 61
- Reserve landing fields: 67
- National highway sections for landing or take-off: 10
- Grade A airports: 11
- Grade B airports: 29
- Non-grading airports: 98.
The Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam and the Ministry of Defense shall reach consensus on the number of civil airports, the number of military airports and the number of airports for both civil and military purposes (according to the Ministry of Defenses opinion in Official Dispatch No.2592/QP of October 7, 1997).
3. The managerial principles:
a/ The Government shall exert unified management of the national airport system, and devise policies for investment in the construction, exploitation and development thereof.
b/ The Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam shall manage the civil airports, take prime responsibility for managing dual-purpose airports used mainly for commercial activities; manage the airspace of such airports; open the register to register the land allocated to civil airports and dual-purpose airports used mainly for commercial activities.
c/ The Ministry of Defense shall manage the military airports and the reserve landing strips, take the prime responsibility for managing dual-purpose airports used mainly for military activities; manage the airspace of such airports; open the register for registration of military airports, dual-purpose airports used mainly for military activities, landing strips and the sections of national highways used as landing and take-off strips.
d/ The Ministry of Communication and Transport shall take the prime responsibility for managing the sections of national highways used as landing and take-off strips.
e/ The General Land Administrations shall work out the procedures for registration and allocation of land to those airports already planned in the national airport system as prescribed by law.
Article 2.- Implementation plan:
1. The Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam and the Ministry of Defense shall base themselves on the ratified overall plan for development of the national airport system to work out the investment and development plan for each period, meeting the socio-economic development as well as national security and defense requirements.
2. From now to the year 2000, to improve 3 clusters of airports in Northern, Central and Southern Vietnam, more concretely: To invest in the construction, development and modernization of Noi Bai, Tan Son Nhat and Da Nang international airports; to draw up plans for investment in and development of Chu Lai, Long Thanh and Cat Bi airports which are domestic airports and concurrently reserve international airports; to carry out the registration of airports as prescribed in Point 3, Article 1 above.
To invest in the renovation and upgrading of other important airports in the airport system corresponding to the period from now to the year 2000, the period after the year 2000 till the year 2005 and the period from the year 2005 afterwards.
3. Investment capital required for each period:
The period from 1997 to 2000: estimated at 19,000 billion VND;
The period from 2001 to 2005: estimated at 27,000 billion VND;
The period from 2006 to 2010: estimated at 23,000 billion VND.
The official investment capital shall be determined upon ratification of each project.
4. Investment capital sources:
a/ The construction of the civil and military airport infrastructure shall be funded by the State budget.
b/ The construction of business and service projects therein shall be funded by various sources of capital such as: credit capital, joint venture capital or capital borrowed and repaid by the enterprises themselves, etc.
Article 3.- The Ministry of Defense and the Civil Aviation Administration shall coordinate with the local Peoples Committees, the Ministry of Construction and the General Land Administration in studying specific plans for changing the use purpose of those airports and landing fields not included in the national airport system planning, then report them to the Prime Minister for consideration and decision.
Article 4.- This Decision takes effect 15 days after its signing.
Article 5.- The ministries, the heads of the ministerial-level agencies, the heads of the agencies attached to the Government, the presidents of the People’s Committees of the provinces and cities directly under the Central Government shall have to implement this Decision.
THE PRIME MINISTER OF GOVERNMENT
Pham Gia Khiem