Table Of Contents
- 1. Why should you register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather?
- 2. What are inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather?
- 3. How to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
- 4. The process of registration for inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
- 5. Where to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
- 6. Contact to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
1. Why should you register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather?
Along with the development of human society, products of skins, hides, pelts and leather have played very important roles in our life. From these materials, humans can create so many things with different functions. The industry of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather attracts a lot of companies to invest in, and the number of inventions in this industry is increasing significantly. In order to protect the invention, companies have many options to choose from, but acquiring legal protection by registering the invention with the authority is always one of the best protection methods. This method of protection can bring outstanding benefits to the owner as below:
- A protected invention can establish or strengthen a company’s position in the market. The patent will give the owner of an invention the exclusive right to apply the inventions in productions and protect the invention from being exploited unauthorized by other competitors for commercial purposes. If there is a third party tries to violate this right, the competent state agency will base on the patent to issue an adequate decision in order to handle the infringement as well as settle claim compensation of the owner for the damage.
- In cases where there are disputes related to the ownership of inventions, the patent will be the only evidence that owners have to present in order to prove the lawful ownership. If the invention has not been registered, it could take a lot of time, effort and money of parties and competent state agencies in resolving the disputes.
- When commercializing inventions, company that own registered inventions could receive higher revenue from manufacture and distribution of products/services based on the invention. The invention will not only attract more customers to buy products or services but also increase the value of products or services of the company.
- On the other hand, the patent can bring a source of passive income to the owner from transferring or licensing the patent. The owner often chooses this method when the owner is an individual and he/she does not have enough financial resources to fully exploit the invention. Especially, licensing the patent is a great way to earn passive income (from license fee that can be paid monthly, annually), avoid the cost of commercialization of the invention and be able to control the competition in the market.
- The registered inventions will make a good impression to the customers and business partners of the company by the image of an innovative high-technology company, the value of the company in the market will also increase.
- Finally, after protected, the invention will be recognized as an asset and can be used to contribute to the capital of other companies.
2. What are inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather?
According to the current Law on the intellectual property of Vietnam, an invention is generally defined as a technical solution which applies principles of nature in order to solve specific problems in our life. This technical solution can be presented in the form of a product, machine, tool or method or process of production or treatment of certain materials.
An invention can be protected in the form of an Invention patent if it satisfies the criteria of novelty, creativeness and capability of industrial application. Or the invention can be protected in the form of a Utility solution patent if it satisfies the requirements that it is not common knowledge, novel and capable of industrial application.
Under the Strasbourg Agreement (1971), an international system was created with the purpose of classifying inventions in a uniform manner based on their characteristics, it is the International Patent Classification. According to this Classification, inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather are sorted out into Class C14 of Section C. The following machines, products or processes and methods are particularly included by Class C14:
- Manufacture of leather; Machines or devices therefor;
- Milling leather;
- Clicking, perforating, or cutting leather;
- Special leathers or their manufacture;
- Making driving belts or other leather belts or strips;
- Finishing the edges of leather pieces, e.g. by folding, by burning;
- Shredding hides or leather;
- Mechanical treatment of furs;
- Details of apparatus or machines for manufacturing or treating skins, hides, leather, or furs;
- Hand tools specially adapted for the treatment of hides, skins, or leather in the manufacture of leather or furs;
- Splitting intestines; Cutting intestines longitudinally;
- Treating skins or hides with chemicals, enzymes or microorganisms prior to tanning;
- Tanning; Compositions for tanning;
- Degreasing leather;
- Chemical aspects of pasting processes;
- Impregnating leather for preserving, waterproofing, making resistant to heat or similar purposes;
- Surface finishing of leather;
>> See also: Logo registration service for individuals and companies
- Manufacture of special kinds of leather, e.g. vellum;
- Apparatus for chemical treatment or washing of hides, skins, or leather;
3. How to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
You must prepare a dossier for patent registration with the following documents and papers In order to register successfully the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam:
- Application Forms for Patent Registration (02 copies accordance with the prescribed form);
- Description of Patent and Patent Protection Requests (02 copies for each document);
- Patent Summary (02 copies, these copies can be submitted later);
- Copies of the payment receipt of registration fees and charges (if any);
- Some specific documents related to the patent, if any (such as authorization letter; evidence of the priority right or the right to register, etc.).
4. The process of registration for inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
In general, in order to be issued an Invention/Utility solution patent, the registration application shall go through the following process of evaluation:
Stage 1: The applicant shall submit the registration dossier directly or indirectly (via post offices or couriers) to the National Office of Intellectual Property (NOIP) in Hanoi or to one of two its representative offices in Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City.
Stage 2: The form of the patent registration application will be evaluated by the competent state agency in order to determine if the application is a valid or invalid application.
Stage 3: The information of the valid application (including the patent and applicant information) will be published by the NOIP in the Industrial Property Official Gazette.
Stage 4: The content of the patent will be evaluated by the NOIP in order to issue the final decision to issue a patent or not.
Stage 5: After the evaluation, if the patent registration application meets all the requirements, the NOIP will notify the decision of issuing a patent and you must pay all the prescribed fee in order to receive an Invention/Utility solution patent.
5. Where to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
Under the intellectual property law of Vietnam, if foreign companies or individuals want to register their inventions in Vietnam, they are required to register through industrial property representative organizations in Vietnam. Minh Khue Law Firm is an industrial property representative which was licensed from August 2017 by the NOIP, with the representative code is 226. We helped a lot of clients register their invention successfully in Vietnam as well as in other countries in the world.
The Intellectual Property Department of Minh Khue Law Firm will carry out all the procedures for the client. Our office based in Room 2007, 20th Floor, C2 Building, Vincom Tran Duy Hung, Tran Duy Hung Street, Trung Hoa Ward, Cau Giay District, Hanoi city.
Person in charge of the Intellectual Property Department of Minh Khue Law Firm:
Lawyer: To Thi Phuong Dzung
Phone number: + 84986 386 648
The completed register dossier will be submitted at: National Office of Intellectual Property of Vietnam.
Address: 384-386 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan Trung, Thanh Xuan, Hanoi
6. Contact to register the inventions in the area of treatment of skins, hides, pelts and leather in Vietnam?
Please contact: Minh Khue Law Company Limited
Address: Room 2007, C2 building, Vincom Tran Duy Hung, Trung Hoa ward, Cau Giay district, Ha Noi city.
Phone number: + 84986 386 648 - Lawyer: To Thi Phuong Dzung
Intellectual Property Department - Minh Khue Law Company Limite
>> See also: Trademark of Products registration procedures